Friday, March 19, 2010

March 22 - 26 Programs

Jean’s Pick of the Week: Celebrating International Poetry Day: It’s no secret that I love poetry. I don’t always love it in translation, however, so when the new Ecco Anthology of International Poetry arrived this week, I was completely thrilled to discover a real treasure trove of poets from all over the world translated by other poets. There’s something about the book I can’t quite put my finger on that makes it easy to peruse and quite inviting. Plus, there’s a marvelous introduction by the Russian poet Ilya Kaminsky (co-editor with Susan Harris) that makes the most convincing argument I have yet come across for poetry in translation. It really opened my mind.



Monday: New Interfaith Visions: The last time Jim Wallis appeared on Here on Earth, people at the supermarket were collaring me to tell me how much they enjoyed the program. Since Monday is a furlough day at the UW, we thought you might enjoy listening again to Jim as he talks about the search for common ground between Christians and Muslims and how to move beyond a polite ecumenical dialogue to make peace.

Tuesday: Engineers Without Borders: I bet you don’t think of engineers as people- people. I didn’t. It turns out that a whole generation of young engineers is re-thinking the way they go about helping people in the developing world by using community-based design.

Wednesday: Crime literature, Scandinavian style: The film The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, based on the first part of Stieg Larsson’s widely successful crime trilogy, will be released this Friday, March 19th, in the US.Why is it that Scandinavia, with its notoriously low crime rates, has produced such an abundant and successful body of crime literature? Guest: Nete Schmidt, Senior Lecturer of Scandinavian Studies at UW-Madison.

Thursday: Sounds of melting ice and wandering sand: Matthew Burtner, visiting sound artist at UW-Green Bay this week, makes wildly evocative eclectic sound pieces out of the natural environment. This program should be a real treat for the senses.

Friday: A Food Friday Favorite: Lake Winnebago Caviar: "I spoon out some eggs to taste and am struck by how firm they are," Jean Feraca remembers her first taste of caviar. "When I gently bite them they explode with a delightful creaminess. I’m swept away into a daydream of seaside villages and Volga River fishing boats, but then I remember I haven’t left Wisconsin."

Now that it is spring
And raining,
Might we have a slightly different expression, O Owl?

I’ve been thinking about that little poem by Basho, translated by Robert Bly, all day. Now it’s yours.

Jean

No comments: