Friday, June 01, 2007

Exploding the Amish Myth

June 1, 2007

Well, guys, I really didn't expect that I would come away from The Branding of the Amish, today's food Friday program with food historian William Woys Weaver never being able to think about the Amish in the same way again. A post for their buggies outside Walmart? Feeding pizza to their wives and horses? Crisco and confectioner's sugar for icing? Where will I buy my chickens now?

Seriously, there must be some purity somewhere. Where?

Have a great weekend, and keep those cards and letters coming!

Jean

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jean,
Earlier this week you mentioned that NYTimes was calling for war poems. I don't know whom to contact there. Do you have an idea?
My daughter, Laurel, wrote a remarkable poem while her son was in Iraq, and I would like to see it "out there." Thanks.

Nancy Ellingson - La Crosse

Anonymous said...

Jean,
We all know there is no true "purity" but we all keep striving. Try Donald B. Kraybill's "The Amish Struggle with Moderity" for some insight as to their travails to remain "true" to their beliefs.

Tom Casey
Delafield

Here On Earth said...

Dear Anonymous,

I think it was mentioned in one of Nicholas Kristoff's columns.