Friday, June 08, 2007

Off to Sardinia!

Friday, June 8, 2007

Just a quick note to let you know I'll be gone for a week - off to Sardinia with my husband to eat sardines and squishy squid ink pasta and hang out with reformed brigands who now operate B&B's. Sardinia has 7000 nuroghe- mysterious towers that are believed to have been built by Neanderthals. It's Bronze Age all over, with villages where all the men dress up in shaggy sheepskins and don wooden masks once a year to impersonate wooly mammoths that are driven out of town in a spring fertility rite. How could you not love a place like that? I'll be back with a report on June 18th, and an interview with Al Gore about his new book, Assault on Reason. Very cool guy.

Keep listening!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just listened to your interview with Al Gore. The subject was torture.
You made the statement that at the Republican Debate there was applause for toture. That is NOT TRUE. There was applause for stronger measures. No one applauded for torture. To take the stand that you did was tantamount to lying. Further, you made the statement that we need to get back to our earlier standards, (Paraphrasing) amd you brought in Gearge Washington. You really don't understand do you?
Did it ever occur to you that there can be reasonable disagreement on what constitutes torture?
The bias that you bring to your programs is beyond any reasonable limits. Can you not bring in at least the pretense of objectivity?
Particularly since you are spending, and receiving, money from ALL taxpayers you, in my opinion, have the obligation to at least TRY to be objective.

Here On Earth said...

Dear Anonymous,

Thank you for your comment on my interview with Al Gore. I'd like to clarify something: as an American, I feel very strongly that there can be no justification for torture under any circumstances, and I hold myself accountable as a talk show host in a responsible position to oppose any attempt to legitimize it, to parse its meaning or to equivocate about its uses. Period. Fault me for that if you please. I speak not as a reporter, but as someone who has consciously created a program that I believe represents universal values which I have pledged to uphold. Torture is not one of them.